April 27th, 2016
There are some great free events and workshops coming up soon.
1. First off is a beginner machine knitting workshop on Saturday 7th May from 1-5pm. We have machines here in the shop and all materials are included in the cost of €60.
Machine Knitting workshop
2. Next up is the Eastern Regional Guild Meeting of the IGWSD on Sunday, 15 May from 2-4.30pm. This is a free event and will give you the chance to see and try spinning and weaving. Parking is free on Francis Street on Sundays.
3. Leading Clones Lace expert Maire Treanor is back on Saturday, 28 May from 11am to 5pm for another workshop. You can also purchase a signed copy of her book Clones Lace, The Story and Patterns of an Irish Crochet.
Clones Burano mask
4. Cat Bordhi, who is bringing a group to Ireland in May, will be spending a day in Dublin on Monday, 9th May. The Group will be having a trunk show with Kieran Foley and afterwards, at about 5.30 you are all welcome to join us for a very very late afternoon tea and some knitting with Cat and her group who have expressed an interest in meeting some local knitters.
5. Then on World Wide Knit in Public Day, Saturday, 18th of June, Diane of the Dublin Knit Collective is organising a day of knitting, crochet, tea-drinking and cake-eating. There will also be lots of prizes! This takes place here from 11am to 3pm. This is a free event and you are all welcome.
April 27th, 2016
I’ve noticed a big interest in embroidery this year, in part because of all the 1916 commemorative work being done by embroiderers.
DMC embroidery threads
We stock a huge range of DMC embroidery threads, which are the best available. From today, we stock DMC tranfer pens (simply draw or trace your design on fabric and stitch over the lines) and DMC embroidery tracing paper (contains four 8.5″ x 11″ wax-free sheets).
DMC Embroidery transfer pen
DMC Embroidery tracing paper
Also in stock are wooden embroidery hoops in lots of sizes from 5″ to 12″.
Finally, we have various cross stitch kits and also DMC Aida needlework fabric in both 11 ct/inch and 14ct / inch
April 18th, 2016
It’s been a very busy week here with two new and very significant arrivals.
Firstly a consignment of hand dyed 75/25 Merino/Nylon sockyarn from Fine Fish Yarns – absolutely delightful colours bound up in 50g pocket skeins. Ideal for gifts.
Fine Fish Yarns
Then a day later, a huge consignment of Spindrift arrived from Jamieson’s of Shetland. 68 colours …….. Perfect for fairisle and all kinds of colour work.
Shetland Spindrift is a native wool grown in Shetland, uniquely spun in Sandness. This colour range is born from the natural shades of fleece grown by the unique breed of Shetland sheep. The names come from the strong dialect. Shetland yarn has a low carbon footprint as the fleeces are bought from local crofters and travel no more than 80 miles from source to the mill where all the processes are carried out under the same roof.
Shetland Spindrift is a 2ply jumper weight yarn equivalent to 4ply. This yarn is traditionally used for Fair Isle knitting and comes in stunning contemporary colours.
Perfect for sweaters, hats, mittens, tea cosies, scarves etc
Jamison's of Shetland
April 8th, 2016
The Irish Guild of Weavers Spinners and Dyers is running a Dyeing Workshop here on Sunday, 24 April from 1.30 – 5.30pm.
You can book a place directly on the Guild’s website: www.weavespindye.ie
April 8th, 2016
The monthly meeting of the Irish Guild of Weavers Spinners and Dyers is taking place on Sunday, 10 April from 2-4.30pm.
This is a free event – no need to book.
This event will give you the chance to see and try some spinning and weaving and takes place is the studio over the shop.
April 8th, 2016
We have everything you could possibly need here in the shop in order to block your knit or crochet items to give them a really professional finish.
Of all the blocking wires I have tried, the Lazadas are my favourite. Apart from the fact that they do a great job, they also fold up into a tiny but sturdy bag 5.5″ X 7.5″ which then folds flat. No more 3-metre tubes! This particular set comes with the following:
4 blocking wires 35″ (90cm) long
3 blocking wires 70″ (180cm) long
30 nickle-plated T-pins.
We also stock Eucalan no rinse delicate wash in both 100ml and 500ml bottles. In fact you can bring back the 500ml bottles for refills, which is good for the planet and also your pocket.
Finally we have T-pins which can be purchased separately.
April 6th, 2016
The gorgeous new Aran weight, RelaX, from Rial Filati has just arrived from Italy. The colours are beautiful and I will add more over time. I absolutely loved the sample they sent me which I knit up immediately into the Antler Hat.
It is 70% wool and 30% acrylic. It feels incredibly soft and knits up beautifully. You get 166m from your 100g ball. We have 14 colours in stock and will be adding more soon.
October 4th, 2015
These beautiful bowls were hand made here in Dublin, by Carol Burke, each one different and unique. They are made from impressed earthenware clay using stamps, textiles and markings. They are fired with contemporary glazes, some crackled, and finished with a lustrous bronze effect. As well as being decorative, all the glazes are non-toxic. These bowls are made with great care so as not to snag your yarn
September 13th, 2015
For the first time ever, we are stocking crochet jewellery designs for you to make – a selection of earrings, cuffs and neck-pieces in pure mercerised cotton and Swarovski pearls. The beautifully packaged kits contains mercerised cotton, Swarovski pearls, crochet hook and pattern – everything you need to make these beautiful pieces. There is online help and a stitch guide to help you if required! Ideal to make for yourself or as gifts.